Wednesday, December 3, 2008

toe tapping

I'm jittery. The kind where you tap your toes constantly, not necessarily to a beat... I get up and then sit down and then up again for little unnecessary errands. My mind races, like it's got an obstacle course to finish.

That's what coffee does to me sometimes on Wednesdays. I don't have it too often, but on Wednesdays I like to, even though I know what I might be in for. The caffeine shoots through me, delighting in this body that does not like to be affected by stimulants of any kind and is not inured to its effects.

But I can't resist a pumpkin spice latte as I join the girls so early in the morning, talking like we do every Wednesday before work about our varied lives...
of CPA tests, new outfits, in-laws, job searches, traveling plans, Christmas parties, text flirting, the economy. It's a safe place, made specialer with a warm holiday drink in this cold weather.

But now I wish I were busier at work at the moment, with plenty to do to keep my hyper mind occupied, my hands on task. Since there's not so much to do, all I'm thinking about is the day ahead, thoughts hopscotching over one another, often drowning out my lovely pandora station which seems to be reading my mood and circumstances perfectly...

noontime, leave office to meet Mary and new clients and interior decorator at the new property, i wonder if i look professional enough today, i wonder when i will eat, or what i will eat, don't want to eat too much, i'm still full from jodie's enchiladas last night...

after that, go to the courthouse, do some research for work, i love going downtown, wonder if i will find what i need, and by the way what in the world am i wearing to our work christmas party tomorrow, how do you dress for a "holiday ho-down"?

then i go home and finish straightening my hair, which this moist chilly weather will certainly ruin after i'm outside for a few moments, oh i'm getting my roots touched up tomorrow, can't WAIT...

gotta meet karen and the little kiddos at the new silvergreen's downtown for dinner, can't wait to squeeze the little baby and tackle my favorite six year old...

and then. i know where i'm meeting and with whom. don't know what we're doing. i do know what i'm wearing though. and i do know that it will be cold. so i'll probably want another warm drink...and so maybe this wednesday will end like it began, with wonderful conversation in chilly air. my guess is that it will be a bit different in other ways though...

2 comments:

Patricia said...

order it decaf...!
have a great time tonight - look forward to hearing about it.

Lesley Miller said...

Well hell. Why am I the last person to know who you're going out with tonight?

And double hell: HOLIDAY HO-DOWN? Who thought of that lame idea? I say you go all sparkly and pretty. Not that you can be pretty at a HO-Down but you know what I mean.

Tell your man, whoever he is, that I say "Be nice to my Corinne. She's a gem. If you aren't nice, I will blog about you."

ha. Someone has to play Mom, right?