Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What Happened There Didn't Stay There...

This past weekend I went to Vegas with Zac to see his family and celebrate his birthday. He grew up there. Whenever I'm there I always make a point to go see the Bellagio water show. There are few things I've seen in my lifetime that leave my mouth agape and eyes wide like this does. If you have never seen this performance of water, music, and light, you must. Here's a little something to help take you there, although as we've all experienced with great things we try to record with photos or video, it doesn't do the subject justice...



I know that to be so impressed by something that cost $50 million dollars and 3 years from concept to debut does not make me especially unique or discerning. However, much less has been accomplished with more (think blockbuster movies that bomb). I also happen to particularly love music, water, and light maybe a little more than the average person, so the water show could hardly fail me!
Check this out for the inside scoop, I find it pretty interesting...
http://www.mlifestyle.com/pages/issue_2v2/fountains.asp


Part of this article outlines all the different types of professions involved in creating and maintaining such a thing. They are all experts, or at least extremely capable, in their field; these lighting technicians, designers, water engineers, and pipe maintenance teams. The person who decided they wanted a spectacular thing to separate the Bellagio hotel from the street of the Strip sought out the professionals who would not fail to let them down. In my Rhetoric class at Westmont we spent a day discussing the bricklayer who described his job not as "I'm laying bricks" or "I'm working on a building" but as "I'm building a cathedral." A lot of what's gonna get you places is your perspective, and your commitment to it.
I believe that the most successful people, those that get asked to work on a world-class design concept, those that are hired to build cathedrals, or do the most in whatever their business is, are the ones who combine a positive vision of their ultimate goal, along with the discipline to become very competent in their field. These thoughts all did indeed come from my half an hour in front of the Bellagio lake. And I have been inspired by them lately.


Some people go to the beach or read a book to find inspiration. And some go to Vegas and find it there.

4 comments:

Megan said...

I am inspired by taxes. Is that weird?

did you know that my bro-in-law designs rollercoasters for a living? now, that's sweet.

Megan said...

p.s. aren't vegas videos supposed to be wild and crazy?!? ha ha ha

Lesley Miller said...

Hey there-- want to know something crazy? One of my companies clients is called Galil Motion Control and they designed that light show. I was just watching a you tube video today that we posted to help get them more interest. Search for Galil on you tube and you should be able to find a professional video of the Bellagio. :) Also, I thought you should know that I am taking a personality/spiritual gifts class at my church. I've been defined last week as social and will soon be re-taking Myers Briggs. (Did you know it can change every 5 years?... I'm sure you did know that cause you are an expert!!) Love ya!

*corinne said...

Will definitely check out that video, Lesley! What a fun connection. And I would love to take that class you're taking at church.
I've actually never come across the theory of your MB type changing every five years. I'll definitely look into that. From what I know, most people have a pretty consistent preference over their lifetime towards specific letters, but occasionally big and/or stressful life events (grad school, divorce, mid-life crisis, or other) can cause one to test out differently for awhile.